Online, June 3 – July 11, 2020
The same course content as our on-demand online course by the same name, but you’ll be part of a group who is taking the course together! This group process will facilitate discussions with your instructor and your classmates, to help you open your own early childhood program at home providing relationship-based care steeped in LifeWays Principles.
- Deciding to Start
- Is this the right career for you and your family?
- Tools of the Trade
- Learn the practical and business aspects of starting and operating your own home-based childcare program.
- Crafting Your Program
- Create a holistic program using LifeWays’ proven principles.
- Working with Parents
- Gather strategies to find families for your program and explore how to form positive relationships with parents.
- Self-Care and Professional Development
- Set up ways to create your support system and to further your understanding of child development.
* Earn a certificate for 25 hours of continuing education *
- Lifetime access to the online course materials including helpful articles, inspiring videos and handy resources
- Access to the LifeWays student resources cloud which contains helpful forms, documents, and more to start and run your home-based business
- A copy of the book Home Away from Home: Lifeways Care of Children and Families, by Cynthia Aldinger and Mary O’Connell (Since we only ship to US addresses, we are happy to provide our International Students with a PDF version of the book.)
BONUS! Students of this course receive a FREE One-Year listing as a LifeWays-Aligned program on the LifeWays North America website (a $100 value).
Meet your Instructor…Mary O’Connell
When Mary’s own children were young, she offered a LifeWays home program for five years. Ultimately, there was such a long waiting list that it was time to open an early childhood center. In 2002, LifeWays Early Childhood Center opened in Milwaukee, WI and Mary served as director there for 13 years. That center is still going strong under the wonderful care and leadership of her colleagues.
Mary has a Business degree from the University of Wisconsin – Madison and was a student in the very first LifeWays Certification Training. She is a Lead Teacher and the Training Coordinator for LifeWays North America and also currently serves as Board President.
In 2010, she co-authored Home Away from Home: LifeWays Care of Children and Families with Cynthia Aldinger.
“One of the things I want more than anything is for mixed-age, relationship-based childcare that is rooted in the principles and practices of LifeWays to spread like wildflowers in a field! I am hopeful that this online course will encourage you to open your own program, and will be a helpful resource for you. I look forward to taking this journey with you and helping you realize your plans to create your own ‘Home Away from Home’ for children.” Mary O’Connell
In this guided version of the course, Mary and the other students in the course will support you in your goal of opening a program. This course is not intended for people who are seeking ongoing support for their already existing program — it is specifically geared toward those people who are considering opening a home childcare program.
“An incredible course. I received the certificate and felt just. so. darn. proud!” – Rebecca, Quebec
“Thank you for providing this course, it has been a great help filling in all the gaps in my plan and giving so many ideas on how to improve it. I will definitely be checking back in to review more of the links and reading materials.” – Alexander, California
“Mary, I enjoyed this class so much. Thank you for your feedback during the lessons and for your prompt responses to my emails.” – Julia, California
$99 for the online course
$199 for the online course AND three (3) hours of private consulting (phone or video conference) with Mary O’Connell to assist you with your unique childcare business needs